June 21, 2011

DIY: Pinwheels

So our wedding theme is Summer Love ;) I want to bring in a lot of summer time elements, and what's more summertime than colorful pinwheels? I looked up some DIY instructions on how to do this, but I found that my way is a lot quicker and easier because I took away some steps! So let's get started.

Supplies:
1) Pretty scrapbook paper (12x12)
2) Scissors
3) Straight pins
4) Wooden Dowel Rods
5) Ribbon (optional)
6) Glue stick (maybe)
7) Wire cutters
8) Tape

Step by Step.
1) Cut your paper into four even pieces. You should get four 6x6 squares. If your paper is double sided, step one is complete. If your paper is printed on one side but white on the other, just glue two pieces together, pretty sides out. Now you are ready for step two.

2) On other DIY sites, they tell you to do all this measuring and marking. To be honest, this step can be completely skipped and you'll save a lot of time. Take your scissors and start at each corned and cut diagnolly. You'll want to leave a square inch UNCUT in the middle. It should like like this:


3) Take your push pin and stick it in one of the four corners like so...

Go around your pinwheel and put the pin through every other corner like this:


4) Stick the pin through the middle of the pinwheel like this:


5) Add some ribbons to the back of the pinwheel.


6) Stick the pin through the dowel. Be careful not to poke yourself. Sometimes the dowel will split a little, but the pinwheel will cover it, so don't worry! Use wire cutters to trim the tip off the needle in back and use a piece of tape to hold in place.

And now you have a pretty pinwheel.


One of my bridesmaids and I made 24 of these beauties yesterday in a little over an hour. Not too shabby for first timers. Now they will just make my living room look happy until the wedding day. These are going to line the aisle as we walk down, I can't wait. Less than two months now <3

17 comments:

Alyspank said...

Oh... my God. That's probably the cutest wedding idea I've seen in a long time. So damn adorable <3

I can't believe your wedding is already 2 months away!

Alyssa

Taylor said...

thats such a cute and adorable wedding idea! congrats that your wedding is coming soon.

Stacey Kay said...

What a cute idea! That would be great for a summer party as well. Good DIY!

xoxo
Stacey Kay
“Runway Inspiration, Vintage Decoration”
Goodwill Huntingg: Comment on my latest post!
Cleveland Free Press: Goodwill Huntingg Shopping Guides
Fantastic fashion blog giveaways – week of June 21st, 2011
My Vintage Handbag Line

Nikki | The Ginger Diaries said...

awe, this so adorable! It's a great idea to use these for a wedding! x

Gary said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gary said...

So Cute! Call if you need more help, Kira and I would love to! Britt

Marisa Noelle said...

My goodness!! That is the cutest wedding idea I've ever seen!! They really turned out darling. If I could go back 7 years and redo something...I would definitely add the pinwheels down the aisle...I am loving them:)

... said...

These are adorable! Such a good idea. XO

Vanessa, Take only Memories said...

What a great DIY! Lovely!

Sarah said...

This is so cute! Thanks for sharing!
I bet it will look awesome!

Have a blessed day!
xo, Sarah

Kirstin said...

These are just the coolest! Can't wait to see the pictures from the big day!

Unknown said...

This was just what I was looking for! I am having my wedding in June and i have been wracking my brain for something cute and inexpensive to line the aisle and this is perfect :) Great tutorial too!

Angela said...

I made these last night and they ARE adorable. I used thumb tacks, however and they're not long enough to go through the dowels.:( So I had some longer, thin nails. This worked, but the pinwheels aren't functional (don't spin) like I'd hoped. Any suggestions, or am I doing something wrong?

Angela said...

I made some last night and they ARE adorable! I was hoping they'd be functional (and spin) but don't, which is a bummer. Any suggestions?

Angela said...

I made these and they are adorable! Do yours spin? I may not be pinning mine correctly, but can't get them to spin. Any suggestions?

Anonymous said...

these are so cute, great idea they'll look amazing

http://welcometocharlotteswardrobe.blogspot.co.uk/

Diana Marks said...

awesome DIY! Thanks for sharing!
Please, support my up and coming blog about life and fashion in LA on Bloglovin. Let me know in the comments and I will follow back ;)

LA By Diana Live Magazine